A coding story: Dead reckoning vs. diffs

December 29th, 2015

Once upon a time, I wrote a photo gallery in PHP, accompanied by a set of PHP and SQL scripts to populate the site from a KimDaBa (now KPhotoAlbum) database. The code is *terrible*, and when it came time to adjust how I managed photo tags, I couldn't stomach editing the PHP. Slowly but surely, I've been rewriting my photo gallery software. The website is in Clojure, and mostly up to feature parity. The tricky part is the updater -- because of an odd quirk of KPhotoAlbum.

This is the story of trying to solve a problem, finding out a flaw, and then seeing the problem in another light. The intended audience is unclear. :-)

Read full entry »