Login screen crashes after Edgy Eft upgrade (solution)

After upgrading Ubuntu Linux from Dapper Drake to Edgy Eft, I found that the login screen would malfunction with the message "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one." A different login screen would appear (which worked just fine), but it was still irritating.

Problem
Ubuntu login greeter crashes with message "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one."
Solution

Turn off the accessible greeter.

1. Select System -> Administration -> Login Window
  2. Go to the tab "Accessiblity"
  3. Uncheck "Enable accessible login"
Explanation
It seems that the accessible login broke in Edgy Eft.
Resources

Responses: 6 so far

1. Jonathan Harker says:

I have the same problem, but this solution does not fix it. I have posted to launchpad about it. Just thought you might want to know... I suspect I have a horrid problem with ATI hardware and fglrx drivers.

2. Tim McCormack says:

Interesting. Thanks for posting here!

3. Alex says:

I cannot even open the "Login Window", so how to fix this?!? Same story - updating the Edgy messed-it up...

4. Tim McCormack says:

@Alex: On my system, I was given a different login screen to use after the first one crashed. Yours isn't doing that?

You may have to find out where that preference is stored on your system, and edit it from the command line.

5. Alex says:

Tim,
    I cannot open the System - Administration - Login Window. I click and nothing happens. The login when I start the computer works, after I get the error message, just like described by others. But to change the setting in Login Window, I need to open it, which I cannot, hence I am bound to get the error each time I start the computer...

6. Tim McCormack says:

@Alex: With Edgy Eft, I sometimes can't get into administrative windows too soon after returning from standby -- it has something to do with gksu. What happens if you execute "gksu gdmsetup" (the menu command itself) from the command line? (Try it twice, and if that doesn't work, try "sudo gdmsetup" instead.)